13 December 2009

Let the Little Children Come to Me...

Sitting in church today, I was struck by how the rhythms of the gospel strike even the youngest children. They are taught, not only by listening and responding, but by watching what is happening around them within a church service. The little ones see whether the church is being the church only on Sunday or throughout the entire week. They notice when things happen that are out of place...they recognize when they are not welcome.

This morning, there was a mother and her young boy sitting in front of us. The sermon was difficult for him. He was up and about, moving and playing, while his mother attempted to listen. After the sermon, the call was given for all to stand and recite the Nicene Creed. What happened next was something so small, but so big. When the congregation began to speak in unison, the little boy became extremely quiet. He looked up at us, the adults, and watched in amazement as we, together, recited the truths of the gospel. As we staked claim onto what it is that we believe, he knew something was happening. He recognized that something within the room had changed. It was an intriguing moment.

I noticed, during our statement of belief, that I heard many voices. I didn't just hear 'normal' voices. I heard a voice of a child, reciting the truths of God. I heard the voice of an elderly woman, reciting from memory because she is near blindness, the truths of God. I heard people who had surgery this very week, people who are moving on Tuesday, people who have been hurt by abusive spouses, people whose lives have been overcome, all together staking claim on the truth that they hold.

And the little one knew that something was happening. And it was something of a marvelous moment to remember how powerful the words of truth can be.

No comments: