20 February 2010

Lent: Day 4

We are currently in Anchorage and life is pretty good. I spent all day Thursday preparing to bring life for us for 5 days away from home. I made what I believe to be a beautiful loaf of 100% wheat bread:
Here is a photo of a bunch of things I brought. While we cannot eat in every day, I brought plenty of food for snacks, breakfasts, and lunches. It has been interesting to try to prepare lunch in a hotel room, but so far no one has suffered too much!
And the inside of the fridge. Carrots, celery, guacamole, veggie dip, cheese, and jelly for PB&J.
We've been out to eat twice since arriving in Anchorage. It has been struggle for me both times to not have soda with my meal. While a money saver, it is extremely difficult for me to give up that luxury. It is just SO bad for me though, and I keep reminding myself of why I am doing this. The dollars I spend each year on all that soda could really be used in a better fashion. We've eaten at two 'Alaskan' places in Anchorage. The Moose's Tooth, a local pub and pizzeria, and Gwennie's, a small diner like place. While the food has been good in both cases, I have really been reminded how bad for my digestive system outside food can be!
So far, so good, but already a bit difficult to know that sugar is not an option and neither is lots of eating out. But I feel good, and I recognize why that is - I'm finally listening!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ah, yes, the outside food and the digestive system. I think the association has settled in my brain, and it truly deters me... most of the time. I'm also learning how to make selections that won't wreak havoc on my gut. They're usually not on the dollar menu!