17 February 2010

Remember

Speaking only for myself, Easter cannot happen without Ash Wednesday. I grew up in an anti-liturgical, anti-church year sort of place. Since my early college days, the rhythm of the church year has spoken to me in ways I cannot describe or understand. It means something to me to wait in December, to celebrate in January, to remember and sacrifice in February and March, to celebrate and sing hallelujah in April and May. There is significance for me in remembering.

We went to our Ash Wednesday service at church tonight and were marked with ashes. Each year I am struck again by the power, the near electric jolt that I receive when a hand of another places ashes on my forehead along with the words, "Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return. Repent and believe the gospel." I know what is coming. I always think I am prepared to hear those words, to receive the ashed mark of a cross on my head. Every time I feel shocked, repentant, sinful, and mortal. This year was no different.


At the risk of sounding cliche, I do not want anyone to get the wrong idea about my Lenten journey. The reason it is happening in blogland form is for accountability for me personally. This Lenten sacrifice is not about denying myself of something. It is about transforming my inner self into the person God is calling me to be. It is about transforming myself so that I am ready to do the work of the gospel - ready to spread the Easter story. Yes, I am denying myself of some creature comforts, but this is really about a call from God to be someone different. To clothe the naked, to feed the hungry, to give a cup of cold water in Jesus' name.

I don't have much, but what I do have I keep for myself instead of blessing others.

Memory is important. I know that God has been calling me to this place for a long time. So I will remember that I am dust. That I will return to dust. And that my small Lenten sacrifice, of not eating out and cutting out processed sugars, is my repentance; my small way to repent and believe the gospel. To appreciate the gifts that I have received. To serve others in the name of Christ.

*Of note: If you would like to read a much more well written description of what I am trying to say about Lent, clink on the onehandclapping link on the sidebar. She posted a 'Preparing for Lent' blog yesterday and I think it is really on the mark.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I think I want to read Everyday Justice. Did you tell me about that book?

Alaina Beth said...

I do own it, but I don't think I'm the one who told you about it. The book is great because she has a good explanation of justice and simple, concrete ways we can live out justice in our lives, which is really helpful. It is much less overwhelming. The book just came out in the fall, so I'm not sure if libraries have it yet. I got it for Christmas...