22 July 2010

Another Good One

So I don't agree with everything Julie Clawson says, but she really helps me think. I read her book 'Everyday Justice' and it hits the mark of who I try to be. It also helped me figure out good ways to actually explain that to people without being: A) holier than thou or B) annoying as heck trying to get them to do everything the way I do.

Julie just wrote another blog post about the recent skirmish (yes, another one) of Glenn Beck talking about liberation theology. (And yes, I don't really care for Glenn Beck or most people in the news media today. Not much news...lots of junk). Her post can be found here.

I think it is really sad when the gospel is reduced to a personal prayer of asking Jesus in. I think Jesus invites us into the Trinitarian God, not the other way around. We become part of God and that is amazing. But personal and internal salvation is not what it is all about. It is important, but it is the beginning.

I also think it is sad when salvation is reduced to only caring for others. This does focus on a relationship with others and true humble service, but it forgets that salvation is personal and God really does care about each of us personally.

But I digress. If you are interested, read her post. If not, then I'll never know.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

Good points to you and Julie. (Julie, right?) Strangely/coincidentally, I've been thinking about this recently, though I've been thinking about it from the environmental history perspective. Really, you should read William Cronon's "The Trouble with Wilderness." Cronon doesn't expressly identifiy as a Christian, but in a way he talks about how environmental historians need to start thinking about their neighbors (and self-righteousness). The things he writes about keep pointing me back to faith. Hmmm...probably good.