18 January 2012

Really and Truly, Life is Fine

Really, life is great. Things happen. Life isn't exactly where I wish it was, but I am content most of the time. While it is hard a lot of the time, I love life. I'm hoping everybody knows me well enough to know that. Loving life doesn't mean that I don't freak once in awhile. Because really - who doesn't freak out sometimes about $150,000 of school debt? I'm pretty sure I would be quite a weird one if I was totally okay with it.

But the beach? The beach is always beautiful. Always.
 Some people can pretend that life is never bumpy. I am not one of those people.
 Some people can pretend that everything is okay when it just isn't. I am not one of those people.
 Some people don't want to change the world. I am not one of those people.
 Some people don't want a brood of children. I am not one of those people.
 Some people are different than me. I'm okay with that. But I'm not going to pretend that my life is perfect when it isn't. It is a real life, not a fake one, that I write about and live. I have one wild and precious life on this earth. Just one. What's the point of being fake about it?
And there you have it. A beautiful, messy, wild, up and down life. A real one. 

5 comments:

jarcher said...

Wow. I feel like I just read something Rob Bell wrote. Great pics, btw. :)

Alaina Beth said...

Wow Julie - I am going to take that to heart as a wonderful compliment. And yes, I love the beach, even though it is a frickin cold beach right now!

Ellen said...

So I wonder if I can just frame this blog post and hang it in my house. It is so inspirational. YOU, Alaina are inspirational. Life is hard but you are real, and content, and honest. I love that about you. And you freak out, of course and who wouldn't.
Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

So, well written. BUT, all I can think about is this horror nature show were HUGE and LONG sand worms (with horrible teeth and barbs on their flesh) so that they can burrow into your feet. And I thought, the beach can to be yucky Alaina! lol, but um, I know/knew what you meant... And yes 150,000 is most definitely worth freaking out about.

jillsusanne said...

I so needed to hear this today...I too often freak out at the mountain of debt we are rapidly increasing with interest each day. Also, I recently freaked (couldn't sleep last night) about "putting all out eggs in one basket" by having me quit my job, stay home, and bide our time until residency is over in anticipation that he will actually someday make enough money to pay down those loans, buy a house, send our kids to college, etc. I wonder what would happen if something happened to one or the other of us...ugh...so much to worry about. But, then I remembered today...I am not in control. Then I had to pray (again and again) to let go and let God in. Trying to maintain control over my life in even the smallest ways only leads to anxiety for me and then I can't enjoy what is right in front of me (not to mention I lose a LOT of sleep, which is limited now as it is!!). Keep freaking out whenever you need to but remember when you are done, to leave it with the only one who can truly handle it :)