28 August 2012

Life...it is ever changing.

So...we do have a camera. We also have this handy doodad from Apple to be able to get your pictures off your camera card onto your IPad. I also have a cord to connect the camera to the computer to get pictures from A to B. I cannot find either of these devices, which makes for sort of boring blog posts. And I no longer have a stock of photos on the computer, so words it is. Words, words, words.

If I could show you a picture of our house it would look like a disaster area. Things are set up in a sort of kind of way. The whole thing is fairly unnerving, but also exciting. There are flip sides to every coin in this whole aftermath of fire process. Every time I think I maybe have things figured out something happens and I recognize that nothing but grace will get me through this mountainous terrain. 

On one hand, I wanted taco salad for lunch. I sauteed onions and peppers and tomatoes. I went to open a can of black beans.

We currently have no can opener. Fail.

On the other hand, there are jars upon jars of tomato and pepper goodness setting on the floor. 'On the floor?', you say. Yes, on the floor. We have yet to put up the shelves that they will go on. The first set was broken and had to be returned. Grace sitting next to fail.

I unpack books or DVDs and realize that I have no shelving to put them on.

I find some small thing that we had packed away at my parent's home and I thank my lucky stars and smile because this something is *mine* and has been mine for longer than 8 weeks.

Spending money is ever-so-tiresome, but there is light at the end of this tunnel. We are almost there in terms of things we actually need to survive.

We don't have a mattress yet, but hopefully this week that will be taken care of. (We are currently borrowing an old one that hurts my back.) We don't have a table, but we found a source of barn wood so Kennan can build one. We don't have chairs, but since we don't have a table it doesn't really matter.

We do have an espresso maker. And a sewing machine. And 2 computers and an ice cream maker. We have a collection of old jars from my grandmother and from the flea market. We have lots of food and lots of towels.

Slowly, this life of ours is being rebuilt. I wish I could wave my magic wand and just put everything in its place, but I can't. So there are lots of breaks throughout each day and space to sit and stare when Kennan gets home exhausted from work each night.

There is lots of going out to eat and there is acceptance that this will just have to be okay. Insurance money can pay for Culver's once in awhile, yes?

Life is ever evolving. We're working on it. Overall, we are doing quite well. Things are getting crossed off the lists and there are lights of hope each day. The hope flickers, but at least it is there a bit. Something is more than nothing. 

Just keep swimming.

No comments: