14 August 2012

Lots of Thoughts

::We received a large portion of our insurance settlement yesterday. The check is shocking for many reasons. It was not hard to get the company to give us what we had paid for. It is a bigger number than I have ever seen. It still does not cover half of what we lost. Obviously, it is helpful. Obviously, we do not want to replace everything. Still, though, it is beautiful while also being painful. Money does not solve the deep and lasting pain.

::We are having a Pampered Chef party on August 25th at 10am near Sully. Lots of our kitchen, including pots and pans, was from Pampered Chef. This party will help to offset the costs majorly of getting our kitchen back in order. If we can "sell" $1000 worth of product at our party our kitchen stuff will basically be half price. If you would like to purchase something I have access to an online link where you can have things shipped to you. Let me know if you are interested, their stuff is wonderful.

::Kennan started work and the new job treated him well on his first day. Whew! Also, the pay period falls exactly before we have to pay our next round of bills, so we will not have to scrounge around, thank goodness.

::I am ever so tired of spending money. Sometimes it is fun, like buying the dishes I really want or purchasing appliances that we have wanted for quite some time, but we were waiting for our old ones to die. Most times, though, it is really difficult. I get asked frequently whose registry I am buying for or what happened. It is exhausting and explaining to random retail people is not a great time. Overall, we have done well. We went to Minnesota and got basic furniture. We have bicycles. We have some kitchen things. We are getting there.

::Seeing old friends has been like putting on that beautiful pair of faded and well loved blue jeans with holes. I no longer have any of those comforts, so the comfort of old friends is literally a slice of heaven. It is energizing instead of debilitating.

::We are still taking a moment at a time. It has not even been 7 weeks, so believe me, there has not been much time. The emotions are starting to hit. The raw pain is cracking. For us, it has only just begun. For everyone else, the tragedy has mostly passed. This is the raw truth of tragedy...they remain real and present forever for those who experienced them, but everyone else can move on. I have learned this lesson and for the rest of my time on Earth I will strive to walk with my sisters and brothers in the midst of tragedy....for however long it takes.

This, my friends, is the best gift that can be offered: Love. Not judgment. Not condemnation. Not accusal. Not confusion.  People in the midst of tragedy must do what they need to do, whether it makes sense or not. Whether it is crazy or not. It may involve cursing or weeping or anger or sorrow or pain or alcohol. Let it be. Stand beside. Hold a hand, offer a hug. Be there, however possible. Live in the pain with them. Do not be afraid. Do not let fear of the unknown keep you away. Say something, even if it is stupid or seems trite. It is still something. But do not judge. Do not condemn. 

Only love. Love is our calling, our umbrella of hope to offer. So offer it, no matter what.

We will all face darkness in this world. When that dark hour comes, and it will if it has not, what we need is Love and only Love.

Offer love. That is my advice to a broken world. That is my advice to Christ followers. Offer love. The world will change and tragedy will be faced together, for the long haul.

5 comments:

K said...

great words of Truth. and yes, can we please get together in the not-so-distant future? funny that i feel like we're almost closer friends now than we were when we lived in the same building.... love you.

K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen said...

LOVE - LOVE - LOVE!!!! You got it dear friend!

mpieh said...

Alaina, I'm glad to hear things are somewhat "falling into place" for you two back in Iowa. I am still so bummed that we were not here when you needed us most and that we missed "seeing you off" by a day! :-(

You always have a place to stay if you come back for a visit. :-)

Clarissa said...

Hi friend, I'm glad things are more "okay" than they have been. I'm glad you have money to begin rebuilding. Also, I love you.