05 November 2012

One More Week

Well, right now I am preparing to start working 35+ hours per week again. I have not worked this much in over a year. Paid work, anyway. There are many things that make me nervous about this transition and pretty much none of them have to do with work. I am intelligent and capable, I will catch onto the work stuff just fine. I appreciate this job because you can do it and then leave it. There is no bringing it home involved. Hallelujah.

What does have me concerned is the idea that we will be ok. Will we be okay? For the last 4 months, and even a long while before that, our lives have been quite tumultuous. This new job will provide a weekly family routine that will probably help to settle a lot of the crazies. We will not have to worry about money at all, thank the good heavens. We will actually be able to give and to save and to get rid of some school debt that has been eating us alive.

Really, it is sort of exciting.

But what of it? Will we be able to exercise? Will we be able to cook meals that we enjoy? Will we have time? Will we follow our budget? Will I actually be able to wear business clothes every day without puking? Will I be able to stand firm in my ethical convictions while being much busier than I have been in a long while? 

Questions, questions. They linger always.

As for now, I am finishing the "to do" list that has been in place since we moved in with the understanding that the next time I am at home full time it will be because we have children, unless something else crazy happens.

I am also, during this next week, going to strive to actually sit and be quiet. To drink tea because I can. To read a book because I can. To bake dessert because I can. I have the time right here and right now. I choose to make the best of it and not run around like a crazy person.

The other thing I am doing is staring down my business clothes. I bought them and they cost a pretty penny. Next week, I have to wear them. This week: hello sweatpants.

Three cheers that the election will be over tomorrow. Please vote. I can honestly say I don't even care for who. Okay, I care a little, but just educate yourself and make the best choice for you. What will be, will be. 

In other news: anyone near Cedar Falls willing to let a couple of liberals come over tomorrow to watch the television coverage? Sometimes not having a television really stinks.

3 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

Just remember, clothes and jobs may change your appearance, but they don't change your identity :) Also, it was fun shopping together & seeing you guys this weekend! Why does the time always go by so fast?

Callie said...

Hey Alaina, I just wanted to say thank you for your thoughtful response to my post about the election last night. It means alot to me that even though we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, you responded in such a loving way to a post from another Christian that thinks differently on politics. :-) We may not agree, but I feel like your comment was such a great example of showing love toward a sister in Christ even if we disagree!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I agree with Sarah Anne. By the way, Nice blog you have here. I think I'm going to read them all.

health club advertising