For quite some time now I have wondered if I have some sort of bacterial issues in my gut. I consistently have different reactions to the same foods and weird itching and rashes and bloating and other grossness. Typically, I have been able to deal with it and it goes away, but in the last month and particularly in the last couple of weeks I have had an itchy red rash that just will not go away. I mean not go away despite drinking a gallon of water each day and using prescription creams.
Because of this, and other health factors, I have decided to bite the big one and take the major allergens out of my system. I know for certain that nuts and eggs are not an issue for me, but I am stopping the grain and dairy intake until the end of March at least. I will be making almond milk for coffee and smoothies and will be eating lots and lots of vegetables, fruit, and meat. Good thing we have chickens and turkey and venison in the freezer! We also eat lots of beans. I also won't be eating sugar. Small amounts of honey and maple syrup, but that is it.
The hardest part is that most people believe me to be insane. With what I know, I firmly believe that gut and digestive health seriously affect us more than we know. I also know that high stress situation can seriously wreak havoc on the body's ability to fight back.
I would say that a house fire, a 4000 mile move, a new job, and a new community with no new friends yet probably qualifies as high stress.
I do not plan on this being long term. I am hoping the rash will dissipate, and I will add things back in one by one to see if I have any crazy reactions. But believe me, if you were itchy all over, couldn't wear a bra to work, and unable to sleep for long stretches at night...you too would be willing to try anything.
So, for fun, I might keep a little food log for myself, and maybe others who may struggle with food allergy issues. Life is short, and I would rather enjoy it and eat less types of food than despise everything and be crabby because my entire self itches. Don't even get me started on how this affects my marriage, because I can't really stand any touch without itching. Bad news!
Today, February 28:
Breakfast: some blueberries and coffee. It wasn't a great morning.
Lunch: split pea soup, blueberries, kombucha
Supper: chili, squash with coconut oil and a bit of maple syrup
A gallon of water, herbal tea.
I am still itching, but it could be awhile. I am trying to smile!
28 February 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment