09 December 2014

Advent

This time of year, during Advent, I always find myself much more reflective than usual. Part of it, I believe, is my body realizing that the church year is starting again - we are starting to tell the Christ story over again - and so I reflect. The other part is that life is typically starting to slow down again for the winter. The CSA is almost ended, the farmers markets are a distant memory, my jars of food are sitting on the shelf ready for use, and the days are dark when I leave and when I go home. Every year, without fail, Advent is a time of reflection in my life.

This year I really feel the groaning of Advent unlike any other time. Each year brings some new reason, some new understanding, some way that Advent is different and more complex than the year before. I groan this year because I long for the Christ child. I long for the Prince of Peace to come and fix the broken; to come and save the weary and oppressed; to deliver those who are down trodden and beaten by systemic injustice; to open our collective soul to the truth that love will conquer all. I long to give the hope of the Christ child to those around me, to those I don't even know.

For those who lost a loved one due to unjust systemic racism.
For those who have no food to eat, no place to lay their head, no safety net against cruelty.
For all those who have been sold into slavery.
For all the young girls and boys forced to commit unspeakable acts with adults twice their age in brothels around the world.
For all people who feel unequal, who feel less than, who are treated as other.
For those with debilitating illness.
For those people who know this is their last holiday on this earth.
For those who believe that consumerism should rule the day.

Lord, have mercy.

Advent is about the groaning. Advent is about the already wrapped up with the not yet. The Prince of Peace has come and is coming. The world is completely broken and yet completely saved.

I am learning anew about living in the now and the not yet.

Come, Lord Jesus. Come.

No comments: