There are moments in ministry when I do not have any idea what to do.
What do you do when you are at youth group and students tell you they only want to have fun? How does one combat that? Obviously, fun is important. But isn't the point connecting to one another and God? Isn't the point to actually learn about how to live a Christian life in the here and now?
Is the point really to play games and run around making noise?
Sorry. I realize this is a rant. But I honestly am feeling extremely discouraged. Has anyone else ever dealt with this? I don't think pie in the sky youth groups are good.
Why is it so frustrating to parents and students alike when one actually attempts to build a Christian community among youth?
10 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hmmm... tricky! I think that part of the problem is for Christians a lack of perspective that kids can be in a discipleship process from the time they can walk - instead of viewing children and youth ministry as babysitting service or just another thing to take up time. But having fun together as a Christian community is important too, right? So, maybe try talking about the importance of learning to live a Christian life, connecting to one another and having fun are all good and there needs to be a balance and try to structure in that balance like have different focuses on different nights ... just some thoughts.
Post a Comment