26 November 2007

Oh what a weekend

Well, Thanksgiving has passed and life will now return to normal. Everything was extremely fun and our food tasted good. You should have seen Kennan and I on Wednesday night trying to brine the turkey. Kennan decided we really needed to do this - so here we are in our kitchen, only moments before we need to leave for our church Thanksgiving service, covered in turkey juices and laughing. It really was fun.

And, my mother-in-law gave me one of the best compliments ever. Her exact words were, "Alaina, this is the best green bean casserole I have ever tasted." Now that is great stuff. Kennan and I had lots of fun cooking dinner, although he did manage to slice his thumb right after I told him not to cut himself because we don't have health insurance and therefore can't afford the emergency room. Not 5 minutes later, he was bleeding. What a husband.

But the truth is, this weekend I realized anew just how thankful I am for my husband. He walks beside me through this crazy journey of finding myself as a woman and a pastor. He encourages me to be who I am despite other people telling me I can't. He loves me when I rant and rave about issues I am passionate about. He loves me when I get angry with men while telling him I don't include him in that category because he is different. He lets me lead when I know best, and he leads when he knows best. Sometimes he cooks, sometimes he cleans, sometimes he sits, sometimes he flies virtual airplanes. But he loves me. And I am thankful that he will stand beside me no matter what. I am so incredibly thankful for the gift of this man, this best friend that I have, to walk with me through life. As cheesy as it sounds, it is true.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Kennan is not a man? LOL! Sounds like our decorating show will be a hit, then!