16 June 2008

Life

This summer, I am working with some people who are nearing death. Some people who may die tomorrow. Some people who spend their days in a wheelchair, with alarms and buzzers, sleeping in a lounge. Some people who are placed in front of the TV all day because they are unsafe. Some people who cannot remember their name. Some people who are stuck in bed all day. Some people who are sad. Some people who are angry.

These people, as a whole, would not be alive were it not for the medical technology of today. I am thankful they are here, because I do believe these people have something to offer this culture which worships youth. However, what is quality of life? Is quality of life really sitting with your head down in a wheelchair in front of a soap opera for 10 hours? Really?

I am struggling on the fine line of - medical technology is good and medical technology is bad. When should it stop? When should we say, no more, this frail body has had enough? When is it appropriate to let go?

Our bodies, while a glorious gift, are not able to continue forever. But what about when the brain function is gone, but the body is still fine? What then? What if the body is unable to function, but the brain is fully intact? I have SO many ethical questions right now.

So many of these people have said to me things like, "I just want to die." "I know I am confused, why am I here?" "I can't remember anything, why am I alive?" "Everyone I loved is gone. Why not me?" And I feel for them. Their lives are worthwhile. They do mean something. But they feel so lost. Help, dear God. Help.

1 comment:

Cherry Shake said...

Last week, my professor for my ministry with families class said, "With technology, people are living longer...but not necessarily living well." It does make you question whether longer life is good when pain is involved in one form or another.
Luv ya Alaina,
Cheri