17 February 2009

Medication? Nutrition? Hmmmm...

There are presently some big questions right now for the 2 of us who live in this little Chicago apartment. A big question in our lives right now is something that I would like some input about. This thing is medication. (And no, I am not going to say why. This is all the information I am giving for now.)

Disclaimer: I have nothing inherently against medication. There are people in this world who don't create certain hormones, or whose neurotransmitters need help. There are people who need blood thinners and ibuprofen when they have cramps. I understand this.

However, this is my struggle: What part does nutrition play in the bodily processes that are not working correctly? If one has an issue, is it a good idea to just begin taking medication? Or, is it a good idea to wait awhile, do some research, and try out some nutrition strategies?

I honestly don't know the answers. My gut reaction is to run away from medication that could become a life-long addiction. My gut tells me that a short-term solution is not a good idea.

But do I really want to cut out sugar, simple carbohydrates, and start eating tons of fish? The honest answer is: No. But could this change our very lives: Yes.

So, tell me your honest opinion...is it okay to live with an issue for awhile longer and seriously try all the nutritional ways of coping before trying medication that could work fairly instantaneously? What do you think?

1 comment:

Beth said...

depends on the current seriousness of the situation. attempting to correct things without meds makes sense. is the doc willing to work with you on alternative approaches? can you find one who would (second opinion)? or a naturopath (you are in chicago after all)?

it was really good talking with you recently...