That about sums up my life right now. Time has flown by and now it is August. We now officially live in Alaska, where currently the sun always shines, the time is way earlier than where I'm from, the food is expensive, well everything is expensive, and my little home smells like paint.
Moving. Blech. I am seriously hoping we don't have to move for quite some time. Boxes are everywhere. Everything is in the middle of the floor because we are painting all the walls. We have no shelves to put anything on because we gave them all away.
I just saw a moose like 5 feet away from me. Wandering through campus. She looked at me, I looked at her, and she walked away. Nice. Earlier tonight my husband chased a weasel through campus with the new Covenant church planter. Also nice.
Our first two trips to the grocery store have added up to about $150 each. This is just to buy staples. We haven't bought anything crazy except ice cream. Seriously. So I signed up for a CSA box from Full Circle Farm in Washington. It is cheaper to spend $50 every two weeks for fruits and veggies than to go to the grocery store 1/2 a mile down the road. Crazy.
Things I miss (list not including people): Trader Joe's. Asian markets. Thai restaurants. Hot weather (by hot I mean over 65 degrees...). The Central time zone. My desk. Corn fields. Any field, really. People who nod and understand when I talk about environmental concerns...or democratic politics...or health care...or recycling...
Things I like here: No ambulance sirens. Biking without concern for my death. Quiet. Wildlife. Trees. Light all the time (like right now at 10:30 - total light - duskish). Free fish. Free moose. Painting my home any color I want. Not having to lock everything all the time. Cold Stone Creamery. Drinking Tea with a sweatshirt in the morning outside. People. Children. Ocean. Mountains.
Life is okay. We are not at the 'good' point yet. We'll get there.
We will.
02 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Alaina, I found you via Molly's blog. Welcome to Alaska. You must live somewhere near the college. I also live near K-Beach road. There is a Thai restaurant in Kenai. Don't stare too long at the owner guy with the two inch long hair growing from the mole on his neck though. The weather isn't exactly HOT here, but compared to other years, we are having a fabulous summer! Our produce here could certainly have some improvement. Winter is even worse. Produce is picked before it is ripe and chemically ripened while shipped here. Pretty much all the flavor is gone, nutrionally can't be very good either. I never even gave it any thought to have produce shipped here. I thought shipping costs would be too much. I looked up that site you gave. Do you pick it up locally? Have you been pleased with the quality and service? Can you buy from them year round?
Jae Thomas
pippi@alaska.net
Post a Comment