15 June 2009

Self-Reflection

I am sick, which is glorious, since we only have about 9 days left in Chicago and I actually wanted to enjoy them! I have this sore throat, runny nose, fever, headache junk and it has been around since Saturday. I'm drinking the OJ, sleeping, and being crabby. Kennan is studying for his PT boards which are on Wednesday from 3-8:30pm. Yes, that's right: 5 1/2 hours. Pray for him if you think of it!

In my sickness, I am realizing some things about myself. I am really attached to my stuff. In particular my mattress and my couch. It is so sad to sit here on an air mattress with kinks in my neck and feeling awful. As I whine and complain, my mind is taken back to all those who don't even have shelter this night, much less a bed to lie in or a huge couch to sprawl on.

While I do believe that it is obviously okay to have things, simplicity is important to me. Realizing my addiction to my furniture is a little bit sad, but I will be glad to have my things back.

Also, I am realizing quickly just how soon we are actually moving. To Alaska. Which you have to cross another country to get to. It is FAR. I feel a bit overwhelmed about it all. I do believe I can do the job, I do believe we'll be okay, but I also know in my skin that this will be really difficult. It is kicking in, the reality of being far from family and friends. I'm not sure how I'm handling it, but one day at a time sounds good?!

No comments: