01 March 2010

Lent: Day 13 (or why supermarkets will kill you)

So I went in the store today. I had no choice. It was a bad situation. Let me explain.

Short vamp: So we're watching the children. It is going fine as a general rule, but their van broke. Which, if you are a faithful reader of this blog, you will remember happened to us the last time we watched children. It seems we have an affinity for killing people's vehicles...or something. Then, last night the middle child (5) starts crying loudly in the night. Her ear hurts. I was awake for 6 hours with her. I got 2 hours of sleep. It was crazy. I watched lots of Scooby Doo. Thankfully, she was okay today...but I was not. I found myself understanding those moms who are at the end of their rope - and acting like it - because I just didn't have the patience today. I wanted to and I did my best, but my best left something to be desired. Ah well, with 2 year olds there is always tomorrow right?

So, back to the store. I went there to get groceries with a student. All I saw was sugar and chips. Everywhere I looked there was Mt. Dew, chips, cookies, brownies...things calling my name. I was at the lowest of low in terms of ability to think straight and everything tried to jump in my cart.

I have been reading 'Everyday Justice' by Julie Clawson and I am proud to say I did not choose the bad stuff. I stuck to my Lenten discipline. But I'm crabby about it. Because I am tired...and when I am tired or stressed I have taught myself to believe that I "deserve" a treat. It is like I am a child....but I'm learning. And I made it out of the store alive. Barely.

I have 30 minutes to myself right now. I never realized just how precious 30 little minutes can be. Peace. Quiet. Happiness.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Well done, my friend. Well done. Sleep deprivation is when I am at my weakest and when I turn to my coping mechanisms. Way to hold your ground!