08 March 2010

Lent: Day 20

It has been awhile. Sorry. But I've been thinking about Lent! :)

Breakfast: Pumpkin Muffins. I love them. They are so good - they are sweetened with honey, use applesauce instead of any oil/butter, have only whole wheat flour, and make a HUGE batch that freezes ever so well. Pull out 4 the night before and breakfast is served! There were also supposed to be smoothies with this breakfast, but the homemade yogurt went bad. Really bad. Sad...
Bread Making: For suppers this week. This is the Boule loaf from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. We love it. Oh do we love. You make this dough, let it rise for 2 hours, then stick it in the fridge. If you want bread you pull out a quarter of the dough, form it into a loaf, heat up the oven, let it rise for 40 minutes, then cook it. Voila! Fresh and tasty bread with a really crusty crust. It can be whole wheat, which this bread is. Yum!
Supper: Bean Soup (13 bean types with tomatoes, spices, onion) and bread. It was simple, but good.
All in all the Lenten challenge is going fairly well. We have lots of exciting plans for dinner this week with lots of good green things and veggies which I am pumped about. I got entirely 'meated out' while we were watching the children - meat every night was a lot of meat for me. So this week we're going meat free at the Archer mansion.
We did intentionally go out to eat once. On Friday. We finished watching the kiddos that morning but we didn't have ANY food in our house that was able to be cooked quickly. Literally none. So we went out for lunch because we hadn't seen each other and we were exhausted. And I'm okay with it!
Overall, I am really craving sugar in a bad way. But it is okay because we have good snacks around and that helps. And we bought some La Croix Lemon sparking water, which helps with the soda cravings. But it is expensive here! Whole Foods is cheaper - which is crazy.
I am learning so much this season - about myself, about God, and about grocery budgets. When I am more coherent, I am hope to share.

1 comment:

Sarah Anne said...

i was cutting coupons this weekend and found one for La Croix sparkling water and thought it my help with my pop addiction (or fiz addiction) as well. the question is where do i find it in des moines? i should see if there's a whole foods here.