14 December 2010

Being Alaskan Means...

Living in Alaska means lots of things.

Living here means oceans, glaciers, mountains, moose, bears, whales, and lots of ravens.

Living here means hiking, biking, dark, light, tourists.

Living here means halibut, salmon, fresh game meat, and minimal options for gardening.

Living here also means something that I really hate, and that is this:

Living in Alaska means that everybody asks you about Sarah Palin. People act like you have met her, although I clearly have not. If I did, it would probably be bad. Anyway, moving right along...people ask about her out of curiosity, amidst hysterical laughter, etc.

Reason #1 why I dislike living here is that whole Sarah Palin issue.

First, she hunts, she fishes, and does all the outdoorsy stuff. She isn't nearly as tough (from what I can tell) as most Alaskan women that I know and not 1/2 as tough as any Alaska Native women. However, she gives this state a bad rap. I think it is completely good and fine that she uses the natural resources in terms of wild game and her family enjoys healthy food. No problem. What I don't enjoy is that she talks up fisheries - which are not wild fish and are one of the many reasons why wild fish numbers keep decreasing every year here in Alaska. She also goes on and on about drilling up Alaska's oil resources. In particular, she wants to drill near ANWR, which is the ONLY arctic wildlife refuge on the coastline in the United States. All across Alaska's shores one sees oil crap. Really, Sarah? You're also going to ruin the one place that is sacred? For oil? That Alaskans still pay out the nose for? She says on television that she wants to use the land and take care of the land that we have been given here in Alaska. But then she wants to rape and pillage the same beautiful land. It drives me crazy.

Second, she shouldn't be president. People in Alaska (as a majority, there are some differing opinions) don't like her. Even people who wanted her to be vice president. You know why? She quit. She left them. And they are ticked about it. People here write editorial after editorial and song after song about why they don't like the face she gives us and that she shouldn't be supported for higher political office. That says something. These people used to really love her - and now they don't. I think there is a reason.

Third, I don't like her policies. I don't like her attitude. I don't like her telling me to respect the last president and to respect her and then she disrespects the current administration. Counterproductive is what she is. And she didn't respect Native Alaskans with her policies.

At first glance, back in 2008, I sort of liked her. There was never a chance that I was voting for that side of the ticket because of various other reasons in that particular election. But I liked the idea that a mother from a small state (population wise) could do something in this country. I liked that she was a strong woman.

People say she's been misrepresented. I say - listen to the people who live where she lives. They say no.

I don't care if she has television shows, I don't care if she makes money, I don't care how many books she writes. She has the power of free speech, just like you and I. Use it up, Sarah, go ahead. The problem with her is that people think she's saying something good.

And it scares the beejebers out of me. Don't worry, that's a word.

Sorry for the rant. I just saw yet another article and another video and another editorial today and it just broke the camel's back. Where are the people to speak out? There are good Republican candidate options. Pick one of them. Please! Pick one of them!

If I offended you, well, I still love you. We don't have to agree about Sarah Palin. This space, however, is my personal space. You are allowed to disagree with me, for sure. But this is my opinion. And according to many Alaskans, it is a pretty valid one.

3 comments:

Sarah Anne said...

yeah, it annoys me that we share the same first name. i hope that doesn't negatively condition you in anyway ;) pardon my psych-ness.

Sarah Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Anne said...

ooh ooh ooh- also! i was telling my friend about this and she said her uncle made a book for everyone in her extended family called “Sarah Palin’s Words of Wisdom” and it was filled with nothing but blank pages! isn't that hilarious? thought i'd share ;)