30 September 2011

Ethics

Since all of my friends are sleeping right now because it is 10 or 11 pm at their houses, I decided to blog about my current very bad situation. If you have advice, comment. Please.

Last year I quit my job at the end of September. At the end of that experience I told myself, my husband, and anybody who would listen that I would NEVER work somewhere that wasn't a good fit again.

I know, I know. Crap happens. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do.

I hear you. I really do.

However. We moved to Homer because we decided to choose joy. We love it here. The deal was that we would both have jobs that made us happy or we would leave.

End of story.

I know you have to sometimes pay your dues. But feeling like you're going to puke when you think about going to work every day? Not okay with me.

I only have one life. That's it, just one. I don't get to have a do-over when this one is finished. I have one chance on this earth to be who I am. That's IT. One chance. I'm okay with paying my dues. I'm even okay with doing something I don't like.

What I am not okay with is working for a company that treats its people completely terribly.

In the last 4 weeks, since switching to the new store I have:

::seen the boss yell at other workers IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS on more than one occasion
::seen people curse and swear at one another AT WORK
::watched the boss gossip about some workers to other workers
::been told that they hire 'hopeless cases' because those people won't leave because they need the paycheck
::been told by every single person who works there (including the boss' children) that she is a not-so-nice word that rhymes with what Hermione is in Harry Potter - you know...
::watched the boss tell a fellow worker that she is too fat to be wearing her jeans and that she needs to change
::had fellow workers who are 5 years younger than me talk to me repeatedly as though I am a toddler

The list goes on. The boss? She's totally unethical. Totally abusing her employees. Totally terrible.

Here's the thing. I could quit. I could. I have tried to make the situation better. I have tried to talk to people, including the boss, about the problems in a very kind way. Nothing has changed. We can financially make it for a *little while* if I don't have a job.

And I promised myself I wouldn't let this happen to me again.

What is up with Alaska? And what the crap should I do? I am currently applying for a job in the school system mentoring/working with students for 30 hours per week. The job has benefits, pays more, and it right up my alley (or appears to be). Pray that it will work out. I'm going in Monday with a smile, a resume, and nice clothes.

No comments: