The greatest thing about this challenge is this: it no longer truly feels all that challenging.
The truth is, I knew it wouldn't be that bad. For us, for me, the entire process was about reframing attitude, reframing life goals, and reframing time. We haven't been perfect by any means, and we have gone out to eat with family and friends at different times throughout the month. We have tried to be mindful about what we have ordered, though, and have eaten only at places that had actual decent food on the menu.
Four days early, I'm calling this month a grand success. The challenge did exactly what I wanted it to do: it realigned our priorities, called out my stupidity and laziness, and proved that eating food at home solves all manner of ills. Before this month started I was generally feeling gross, my digestive system wasn't working super well, and I craved sugar something terrible in the form of grains, desserts, and soda.
I am quite proud to report that I can't remember the last time I had a soda and I am no longer craving sugar nearly as much. We have still eaten dessert this month, but only homemade items with non-white sugar as the sweetener and we have eaten significantly less of those. It is the time of year for apple pies and cobblers, though, so we did not completely cut every form of sweetener out. I'm okay with that because life is a balance. My digestive system has also sorted itself mostly out and I have significantly more energy than usual.
This food change also prompted some other life changes including bedtime/waking time changes as well as house cleaning changes. These changes have really added to the quality of life that we have had at home and make a huge difference in our attitudes and relationship.
There were moments of this challenge where all I wanted to do was order a pizza, but mostly that is due to laziness or sinks full of dishes more than anything. Preserving season always makes this hard because you spend all day cooking food in some manner and the dishes just become Mt. Everest before you know it, especially in a world sans dishwasher. I managed to persevere, however, and I firmly believe that we have saved time and significant amounts of money. We have also each trimmed at least 8 pounds from our waistlines, so that is nothing to scoff at either.
I feel empowered to actually change things again. Bad food really does make a difference, for me with brain fog and energy levels. As we head into the holiday season I hope to continue this good work that we are doing.
28 October 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment