I have been struggling this week because Sunday is my first sermon in this new place. This has been a struggle because I have not had much time to get to know these people, to understand what they need deep in their being. Preaching is a highly intimate conversation, and it means truly putting yourself out there, into people's lives. I am excited for this opportunity, and yet scared at the same time.
Popular question arise like: What if they don't like my style? What if I am not as intelligent as the pastor and people notice? What if I don't have my pages in order? What if no one shows up because they know I'm preaching? What if they don't accept me because I am a woman?
I have to keep these what-ifs from dissuading me to preach. God is the one calling me to be here, in this time and in this place. I believe that the Spirit will give me the words I need. But I am still scared, and there is no way to get around that emotion.
So pray for me. Pray for me in my preaching shoes. I'll let you know how they fit.
09 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm very excited to hear about how it goes. I'll definately be thinking about you--and praying for you.
Clarissa
Hi Alaina, I will pray... and I know you will do wonderfully - just be faithful! keep looking to the One who gives you the words...
Hey I don't know you, I found your blog through a mutual friend (Johnna Hayward) - I saw you were an intern so I thought I would stop by and say hi. Good luck on your sermon - I just finished my internship for seminary back in May. I remember last summer when I did my first sermon, It was scary breaking in a new pair of shoes but it was exciting as well.
Feel free to check out my blog sometime
http://papajoemc.wordpress.com
Wow, Alaina! You have such an eloquent voice! I love your blog already. We will pray for you to hold strong to the calling God has given you. Don't be hindered or disheartened by those that may judge your shoes. God has blessed you with a bright mind, a caring heart and a willing ear, all for his service! We wish you peace, comfort and wisdom as you embark on this exciting journey! It's always scary at the beginning! Peace to you,
Deanna and Kevin
So, how did it go yesterday?
deedkev@comcast.net
hey alaina! way to go!!! it's so fun that you're in decorah... did you know I was involved with that church plant? did you know it's where I first got into the covenant? small world... just wanted to say WAY TO GO on your first sermon there. I can relate to your fears as I write a sermon for next sunday that will be recorded and sent to board of ordered ministry as part of the ordination process. my advice for you and me? preaching is not about us. it never is and it never will be. we're vessels in the most literal sense of the word (okay maybe not the MOST, but you know what i mean). well, hope you're doing well... say hi to kennan for me!!! and I hope i spelled his name right! btw - what's he doing while you're doing your internship?) johnna
Post a Comment