05 December 2007

Anticipation

I truly love the season of Advent more than any other in the Christian year. Some may find this strange, but there is something about the intentional waiting that really appeals to me. Advent means coming, and in advent we await the celebration of a baby being born in Bethlehem, we await the return of our risen Savior, but we also recognize that Jesus has come and gave us the Spirit which dwells within us.

In our culture, we are constantly thinking about 'me'. We want things to happen immediately. We are impatient and easily frustrated. For me, this is why Advent is so remarkable. As the body of Christ, we stop and take a breath, and we intentionally wait for the coming of our Savior. We celebrate the waiting period. I love that. So many things are fast and crazy in this world. Advent is slow, a 4 week wait to the celebration of Christmas. A reminder that we have a Savior who is alive and will return.

I also love the idea of Advent wreaths. Kennan and I light the candles and sing and pray each night of Advent. It is exciting to await the light of the middle candle, the light of Jesus. The symbolic use of light means a lot to me in the midst of this dark world. Lights of hope, peace, love and joy. Lights that remind me what this world and my life is all about.

Kennan and I have found resources with daily Scriptures and weekly prayers for Advent. The prayer for this week speaks volumes.

'O Emmanuel, Jesus Christ, desire of all nations, Savior of all peoples, come and dwell among us.'

This Emmanuel is not just for me, or for you. This Emmanuel is the desire of all nations and peoples. This Emmanuel is for the world. Amazing.

Take some time to sit and breathe into Advent. Be patient for Christmas. Wait for the coming. In the waiting, I always find incredible peace.

No comments: