04 August 2008

Gut Reactions

It is August, can you believe it? 3 days left of CPE.

I received my supervisor's final evaluation of me. I did well, I passed quite a few of the CPE guidelines. I learned a lot.

No matter what, when I get evaluated, I feel bad. Even though all the things she said I should work on are true, even though she said more good and affirming things than bad, even though I passed with flying colors - my gut reaction was to be defensive. I wanted to defend myself, saying how those things she said weren't true.

The problem is - when our own sin and shortcomings are named by others it hurts. No matter what. It hurts to realize that I still have big sins hanging on. It hurts to realize that other people notice them. It hurts to realize that I still rush to defend myself when I know for sure that I am in the wrong.

These are things I need to work on. She is offering me help and care. She is helping me to become a better minister, a better caregiver. It is still hard to accept. That I have lots to work on. Even though this is helpful information, it still hurts when it is in black and white - for the seminary to read.

4 comments:

Jane D. said...

Wow! So much truth in what you wrote!

Kirsten said...

I agree. Whenever I had my laity committee meeting I felt the yucky part of vulnerbility when you just don't want people to examine you...I don't get to do that to them!

You must be done today! Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing you, friend. : )

Justin Barrett said...

You're done!! Now only a couple more weeks until everyone is in Chicago!

The Bookers said...

You are absolutely right. It does hurt. Thank you for putting that into words.