Living a simple life is a concept that is near and dear to my heart. I have often pondered and envisioned what life could be like if I lived it more simply. In the current world there are many things that override what should be important in life. We let things like materialism, bad relationships, entertainment, and even church get in the way of what life is really supposed to be made of.
I truly want to live a simple life. I don't care if I'm remembered by millions, thousands, or even hundreds of people. I don't care if I have tons of friends or children with designer labels. Deep within my heart, what I truly long for, is to love people well and to be loved well in return. In my innermost self, this is the calling that I have from God. It isn't so much about being a pastor, or being a missionary, or living in a certain place; it is about loving people.
For me, this means loving people enough to stick with them when they do stupid and ungodly things. It means forgiving all the time, even when you'd rather scream and yell. Loving people means calling them back, which is something I am truly trying to work on. Loving people means having actual interactions with them. It means sticking up for them when others are putting them down, it means caring for their children when they can't do it, it means lifting up a friend from afar, it means hanging on over the long miles to something you know is worth fighting for.
The simple life, for me, is something I long for. It is something I desire. I have been told that when I am older, I will give up this vision as I learn what the world is truly like. The truth is that I don't want to let go of this vision because it just might be who I am supposed to be.
I long to live in a house that is big enough to house people in need, but small enough that everybody bumps into everybody throughout the day. I long to have a garden to feed my family, but also to feed other people who need good and healthy food. I long to have a piano to play. I long to sew and knit clothing for my family and my friends. I long to make blankets to keep people warm. I long to sit by a fireplace in a sweater, sipping fair trade hot chocolate with dear friends often. I long to have children, lots of them, from different countries, running around and laughing. I long to live in walking distance from people I care about. I long to teach the world the importance of environmental stewardship, just eating, and equality. I care about where my food comes from and I long to support people who are growing food in a way that is caring for the earth and the animals. I long to preach and teach the word of God. I long to love my husband and have the time to truly spend with him, to know him deeply, to love him even when there are wrinkles and numerous grey hairs. I long to have friendships that last throughout a lifetime with people who I cry with, laugh with, live with, and love.
This vision of mine may be scoffed at by some. It may seem crazy to others. But someday, I hope it comes true, even a little bit. I'm not a workaholic, I don't really care about money, and there aren't many possessions that I would cry over if I lost. But there are people that I am still crying over, people who have endeared themselves to me for a lifetime.
The simple life....I just wonder...
22 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen sister on the loving people!!!
i truly understand your heart in all of this.
and everyday i wake up and wish i could be doing something more 'fulfilling', more focused on helping and loving people. but then i remember sometimes i need to remember that my friends and family need loving just as much as people i may never meet. even though ironically sometimes its harder to try when you know these people will love you no matter what.
and its so not crazy. my grandma keeps telling me friends won't be as important to me the older i get but so far i don't believe her. even if i can't buy christmas gifts for everyone, or call people as often as i like, that doesn't defer the importance they have in my life.
(sorry- know this was a long comment!)
-sarah anne
Post a Comment