10 September 2010

Budget

Does anyone else find it hard to make a budget that actually works and that you can stick to?

This is the first time in our lives when we are actually getting paid the same amount each month. So we can plan. Planning is good. But every time we make a budget, something crazy comes up. Even when we plan for the crazy it seems to still creep up somehow. We plan a certain budget for groceries, but then someone gets sick and we want to provide a meal. Or the car breaks. Or people come to visit. Or something.

Isn't it always something?

We're not Dave Ramsey disciples like some people seem to be, but we do try to follow the cash flow system loosely. But somehow, it still doesn't work. Is it my self control? Is is because we actually have some money now and I want to spend it? Is it because I am lazy and want to go out to eat?

Or is it because planning a budget and sticking to it really is difficult? Does it just take time?

Thankfully, we are still okay. But we don't really have 'extra' money. So I need to be careful. And I am wondering how other people budget.

How do you budget? Does it work?

1 comment:

Anna said...

We just started with a simple grocery budget this month... we'll see how it goes!