25 October 2010

Interesting Things Monday

A list of interesting tidbits on a Monday afternoon:

1. We canned applesauce this weekend. Organic apples were on big time sale at the Fred Meyer. So I bought a ton, pretended I went apple picking, and made applesauce. It was so incredibly exciting to use our boiling-water canner again. And we made apple pie fillings, so you should come over.

2. I am unemployed. And it was intentional. Now that is a strange thing to say in the current economy of this country.

3. Will gender and politics never be fair? Will it never be okay to be who you are and not judged because you are female? Bah!

4. The new Harry Potter movie comes out in less than 4 weeks. I hope I have enough money to go and see it in the theater. Who am I kidding? I will create money if that is what is takes - how sad is that?

5. Budget. Major issue now. Trying not to freak out about one salary.

6. So, what should I do with my life now? Anybody have any ideas? I am willing to consider any and all options.

7. What say you about foster parenting?

5 comments:

Clarissa said...

I am also budgeting time I don't have to see Harry Potter. Luckily, Jimmy's birthday is the day after it opens, so this is a totally justifiable expense, since he will not rest until it's been viewed. :)

I would love to eat apple pie with you.

Gender and politics will never, ever be fair. I just read an article that talked about Christine O'Donnell's past (not the stupid witchcraft stuff) that asked people who knew her back in the day what they thought. All their stories were about her not being a good cook and how she may or may not have smoked, drunk, and had sex. I think O'Donnell's sort of a strange candidate, but, well, no one thinks to ask male candidates if they can cook and judges their ability to govern based on such qualifications.

Foster parenting: I'm generally for it. You and Kennan could rock that one. Why are you considering it at this moment?

Sarah Anne said...

If Jesse & I can make it on one salary that is from wal-mart off and on for the past 3 years, you guys can make it on a physical therapist's salary for awhile. trust me. cutting costs aren't fun but its all about priorities and well...lets be honest...even credit cards sometimes. (but for the record i don't even use them anymore cause I can't) and we all will see Harry Potter cause it will be awesome ;)

Alaina Beth said...

Sarah,

I understand. The perception is that we can afford it, but we actually can't. With school loan payments equaling more than $2000 each month, plus rent, plus utilities, plus car insurance, car payment, cell phones...there isn't even enough money for that stuff in Kennan's salary...much less gas, groceries, savings, emergencies, etc. People seem to think I am exaggerating about being able to live on Kennan's salary, but we really CAN'T. The money isn't there. Our school loan payments are too much.

People assume that Kennan makes tons of money because he is a PT. He makes good money, but nothing compared to tons of money. And Alaska is expensive to live in...much more expensive than Chicago.

Sorry to ramble, but this whole thing is hard for me because people make assumptions about Kennan's salary, but the assumptions are not true. We aren't skating by...it is really rough for us and has been since we got married.

I'm really glad you got a new job!!! :)

Sarah Anne said...

I'm sorry Alaina- I was just trying to be encouraging, but after I posted my first comment I realized that I was probably being a bit obtuse. I guess I'm just bitter and sick of being poor since I was a child. And although I'm super excited about my new well paying job, the fact is that it's still temporary, and who knows how long it will last. So because I felt bad about everything, and because I feel like I can empathize with what you're going through, especially like the time when I had to quit working @ Orchard Place for some of the same reasoning you had to end your position here, I called you this weekend so we could actually talk and be friends. So I hope you got my voicemail. Know that I love you and think & pray for you (& Kennan) always. And I don't completely know your guys' situation, but hopefully you can at least get some student loans deferred for the time being- I know that has helped me alot in the past few years. On another note- I have a quilting proposition for you. More on that later :)

Alaina Beth said...

Sarah,

No problem. I will call this week - we had a crazy busy weekend, so I didn't have a chance to give you a call and you called when we had friends over. I love you a lot and my frustration isn't really with you at all, it is just with people and life in general - does that make sense? Anyway...I promise I will call you soon! :)