Not having a job affords one a lot of time. I am looking for employment, but the truth is that I'm holding out for something that is decent, at least for a little while. So, whilst I wait and hope and pray, I have lots of time on my hands in which to do exciting things.
A particular piece of myself that has be rediscovered is that of making things and being creative. It is amazing how much of my very being disappeared in the last year and a half. Something was so off within my being that I ceased to be my true self and forgot many of the things that I loved. Since resigning from my job I have been happier, healthier, and wanted to do many things that I haven't wanted to do in so long.
Since the holidays are coming, I decided that handmade gifts are going to be the way of the season. I have time, I have a fabric stash, and I have patterns. Therefore - gifts will come out of what we have. We'll see how it goes!
First up, something that is not at all a Christmas gift. It is a wedding quilt for Brady and Julie, Kennan's brother and his wife. They got married in May. The story is long, but I ran out of the central fabric and was unable to proceed for months on end until I discovered enough to finish. I finally have the fabric, so I can push on. The blocks are beautiful but they are ever so tedious. I can sense that my grand vision really is going to play out in this quilt, but getting there is taking patience and determination.
99 blocks of 143:
But it will be beautiful, right?
Next up, another thing having nothing to do with holidays. This is a quilt that I made probably 4 years ago. It has been quilted for over 2 years, awaiting binding. Well, November is the month!
My friend Stephanie quilted it beautifully. I told her to go with swirls that matched the blue fabric, which is the main fabric in the quilt. She came up with this pattern and it really is great!
This particular quilt is for no one in particular. I was going to send it to my friends in Africa who had a baby boy. Then I looked up the postage and also realized that Africa is hot. So I'll be sending them something else and holding onto this beautiful quilt until someday.
Next up: The Amy Butler Birdie Sling. I have fabric for this and plan to make it for my brother's fiance, Joa. She likes bags. The fabric I have isn't my favorite, but I wanted something that matched and would also not get too dirty. I hate dirty bags.
And, lastly for now, my mother is in desperate need of new placemats. The ones she has we have used since before I can remember and they are just...outdated. I have some fun tan fabric with some plain navy and plan to make her a set of 8 placemats and napkins. I'm not going to follow this Amy Butler pattern exactly, but it is a starting point.
There is something truly beautiful about making something with your hands. There is the initial dream, the planning, the preparing, and then the actual doing. When you are finished, the product is always oh so grand, even if not perfect, because you made it. Here's hoping everyone on our Christmas list appreciates handmade!
No comments:
Post a Comment