One major question I am left with at the end of this book comes out of chapter 15. This chapter is almost the end of the book and it seems to be a bit of a tack-on. The chapter is entitled 'Population Fallout'. In it, Sleeth discusses how the population that is currently on this earth isn't sustainable. He describes just how much population explosion there has been in the last 200 years and how just having this many people on the planet uses up the resources by virtue of people needing places to live. He claims that if the population continues to grow at this rate there is no way for the earth to survive well.
He goes into detail about how birth control is not a bad thing, but a helpful tool. He claims that if people wanted to go back to a place where everything was truly 'natural' then that would end up meaning that not only would people have several children, they would also have several children who died in the early stages of childhood. He says that when people had large families in the past, several of the children would die when they were young as a result of a host of things.
Sleeth doesn't really give this particular argument very well. He is arguing that the population growth right now is unsustainable. He is also arguing that using birth control and not having many children is ethical and good for God's creation.
Here is the rub:
First, he delves into this complex topic and then gives 10 pages to it. That just isn't enough time to make his point, so his point doesn't come across well and I feel conflicted because I don't understand him.
Second, I know many families who believe that children are blessings from God and because of this fundamental belief they do not use birth control but instead let 'God decide when and if they are going to grow their family'. These families tend to have lots of children (some people I know are even frustrated when they can't get pregnant less than 2 years after the last child). Sadly, almost every family I know under this umbrella has lost a child either due to miscarriage or death in infancy or childhood. They still continue to believe and live that children are blessings and they will accept God's blessings whenever they are offered.
Third, I know plenty of people who use birth control or natural family planning methods. They plan for their children and then end up getting pregnant when it wasn't planned. Or, in some cases, their plan works. In other cases, infertility ends up being a major issue and struggle. These people too see children as blessings, but they attempt to control when these blessings will come based on their family lifestyle, timing, finances, etc.
Fourth, I know lots of families who adopt because there are lots of children in this world who have no families. These people do not feel right about welcoming more children into the world through birth while millions of children have no loving parents. These people prevent having biological children and instead choose to adopt children.
All the categories of people above believe in God and read the same Bible I do. So who is right? Is Sleeth right to say use birth control, don't have many kids, and save the earth? Are my friends who don't use birth control and say 'whatever God wants' right? Are people who choose to adopt right? Are people who plan their families right?
I think this conversation matters more than we know.
I believe children are blessings from God. Children should not be viewed as a burden and caring for them should definitely not be seen as something that 'lowly' people do. Caring for them should be seen as one of the most important and significant jobs someone can have. (For me, this includes stay at home parents, teachers, day care providers, etc.) I also believe that there are millions of orphans. Personally, it is hard for me to consider birthing a child into this world right now because I know of so many children who just need love. Do I think that means everyone should adopt? No. I am definitely in the camp of people who uses birth control, although I think the birth control pill can do some pretty scary stuff to people's hormones, so I steer clear of that.
What about the centuries old Christian belief that having children is a sign of hope? It is a common theological belief in most traditions that having children is a sign of hope that the world is a good place, that God will continue to care for it, and that things can and will change for the better. I had a theology professor in college (not seminary) say that we have children to teach them about Jesus. While I think the issue is much more complex than that simple statement, to some extent I do believe it is true.
Children are a sign of hope.
But what about overpopulation? What about the millions of people who will die today because of hunger? What about all the people who will be forced off their land so that the forest can be clear cut and planted with food for the western world because there are so many of us and we eat so much?
I just don't know. But if you have any ideas or thoughts let me know in the comments.
While I don't think Sleeth does a good job of addressing this I do appreciate that he has the balls to at least bring it up. This question is relevant. And it is HARD to talk about.
2 comments:
Jesse would definately agree with this Sleeth man. And we've had many a conversation about this topic...among others. I won't get into details on a blog comment, as to not offend anyone, but you're right. It DOES take balls to bring up and it IS hard to talk about. Maybe sometime in person we can do just that :)
Oh my gosh. I wrote this really long and thoughtful post, pushed post, and blogger told me that it wouldn't publish what I wrote and erased it. So I do want to weigh in, but I don't feel like retyping all of that. Let's just say that I said it was a complex issue that basically asks humans to decide whose lives are more valuable, which is not a fun topic. Also, I decided that the best way to deal would be to hope for Jesus' return so that we can cop out of any responsibility we might have in the issue. That's how we should treat all environmental and social issues, right?
Post a Comment