Yeah, you read that right: $1174.
That is a LOT of free money. Some people say it isn't free, but it is. We don't pay state tax in Alaska. Our borough and city have taxes, but the state does not. Every person in Alaska gets it - even babies - as long as you apply.
Am I thankful for the free money right now? Yes.
Am I especially grateful because I am currently unemployed? Yes.
Do I feel some slight stomach nausea about the money? Yes.
The money comes from the Permanent Fund Dividend that was set up about 30 years ago. The state invested in oil. This is what happened. We get the investment.
So, right now I have oil money sitting in my bank account and I'm not totally sure how I feel about it. Do I appreciate that Alaska actually invested its money and is paying back its citizens? Yes. I honestly do.
But could the state be using the money? Yes. Should all the drilling in Alaska be happening? No. It is ruining salmon streams, the ONLY Arctic that the United States has, and thousands of people JUST got their settlements from the Exxon Valdez spill and are still trying to recover from that oil tragedy.
Do we need oil? Yes.
Do we need as much as we drill? No. No. No.
Could we be much more careful about how the oil is taken care of? Yes.
Would there still be accidents? Yes. Nothing is perfect.
Some people have said, "Then give it to charity." I hear this. I do. Right now, though, I need the money. So, despite my semi-misgivings, I am going to keep it. For now.
There is obviously more to the story. It is expensive to live in Alaska and this is a small way that helps everyone. People with large families can pay for food or invest in their children's education with the money the kids get every year until they are 18, which would eventually be at least $18,000 plus interest. That's at least one year at a somewhat fancy school.
I still can't believe there is free money in my bank account just for living somewhere and filling out a form on the internet.
Woah.
No comments:
Post a Comment