31 October 2011

Baby Quilt! Squeal!


This saga started last December. My friend, Jessica, who was one of my friends with whom I could complain that 'everyone was having babies' called and told me that she was having a baby.


Stunned silence accompanied her announcement.

After a few hours (okay, days) I got over it and became excited. Then I realized that she comes from a sewing-type family. This baby would probably get all sorts of quilts and wouldn't need one from little old me.

So I called her again and I asked if I could make a quilt for her baby. She said yes. So, he might be a wee lad with lots of quilts, but I guess he will be warm. I decided, since these friends live in Massachusetts and I love them, this is a tangible way to say - we wish we were actually there to wrap our arms around your little guy, but hopefully this will somehow suffice.

There were some parameters. No pastels. Check. I don't like pastels either. So, we went with bright. And I mean bright.

So, I pondered. And I thought some more. I just couldn't find any
thing that spoke to me. Trust me, I needed something that spoke. Sometime in June or so I saw a zig zag quilt online and fell in love. I had seen it! So, I went to buy fabric and found some in my stash.

This is the beginning of the process. Sewing all the squares together to make triangles.


This is the back. I quilted it myself and it was a bit of a struggle to not get lots of puckers, even with my walking foot. I love how the back is bright and you can see the different colored zig zags.
And here it is. This is, quite honestly, the first quilt that I have envisioned that turned out exactly like I pictured. I love it. It was very hard to give it away because I really like it a lot. Hopefully, little Isaac will love it too. There has been lots of prayer and love sent to this little one with every stitch, every iron press, every fold. I can't wait to meet him.
Here is the label. Welcome to the world, little one. From people who love you from afar. Thanks for not giving your parents too much trouble. :)So, friends, I hope you like the quilt. I love it and I am so excited that I can finally reveal it!

And here, for your viewing enjoyment, is the cute baby on his new quilt. Cuteness!

No comments: