I started a new job a little over a month ago. I am a Skills Trainer, which basically means I have one or two clients within the school system that I shadow, help with, etc.
I work for the mental health sector, so all of the kids have been diagnosed with something. Typically, this means some sort of abuse or neglect situation causing major stress and tension in the lives of little ones, making it next to impossible for them to be able to function normally in society.
My job, then, is to take the goals they have been given by the clinician, put them into bite sized pieces, and work to help them develop skills to be able to function and succeed in society. This empowers them, helps them learn to have healthy relationships with other children and adults, and makes them feel safe. The job is hard.
Currently I work at a preschool. It is a sad reality that young kids are targets and that children get labeled quite quickly within school systems. The goal is to help these young ones learn social skills that are appropriate. They have been taught inappropriate things at home, so this particular school partners with families to help get things back on track.
It is fun. It is exhausting. It makes me cry, sometimes, to know how easy my life has been. It is a small and simple way to give back. To realize that life is what you make it. To recognize that my struggles are nothing, in some ways.
But oh, have I been tired! My arms hurt from swing-pushing and my voice hurts from talking patiently and sweetly all day. (You know, the younger kid tone that schools use?) The learning curve is steep and each day is a new challenge and a new beginning. Children are oh-so-forgiving. Oh, to be like a child.
Anyway, life is moving along. I have big plans for the next few weeks. My parents are coming for a week and a half at Christmas, which is thrilling. Our apartment is small and cozy, but hopefully we will all have a wonderful time. We're looking forward to forcing my dad to help make sugar cookies and clam chowder making and sight seeing in the snow. It will be a grand old time.
Between now and then I have bit off much more than I can chew...thankfully, it is all things I love. But this is the record of my insane and happy list:
1. Figure out what I'm bringing for Thanksgiving - in other words, talk to my friend Mandy. (Hi, Mandy!) :)
2. Make a list of the things we can get on the cheap for gifts for electronic-minded family the day after Thanksgiving.
3. Make 2 pairs of pants - one for Kennan as a test run and one for another man on my list.
4. Make some placemats and napkins. And buy the fabric for them, too. Again, a gift.
5. Make 3 bags. Two for my mother - she paid me to make her and her boss a bag. And one for someone else on my list.
6. Make my brother's wedding quilt so my parents can take it back. I don't trust the postal service with $500 items.
7. Buy an AeroBed so Kennan and I aren't sleeping on the couch when my parents are here! (Any suggestions?)
8. Order Christmas cards. I also remembered that no one knows our new address because I never told them. So we really should send cards so people know our address!
So, you know, just some life to live! But a grand life it is. Sorry if you're bored - but I figured some among the world might like to know what's up in Alaska.
1 comment:
I like to know what's up in Alaska :) I like hearing about your school stories and reminiscing about those days in my somewhat recent past. And I like lists. I make them all the time, and have a big one of my own to attend to so I completely understand!
Post a Comment