25 April 2012

A Bike Ride

Today, my blood was boiling. I was ticked off. Seriously ticked off. There are few things in this world that rile me up significantly. I might get a bit upset, but to actually boil my blood it takes some doing. 

When people get treated unjustly, unethically, or just completely unfairly I get mighty mad.

When 5 year olds tell me their parents beat them up I get extremely angry. I typically want to beat their parents up.

When the same 5 year olds are bullies in school and I am literally watching the cycle repeat itself it makes me want to cry from rage and frustration.

The world isn't perfect, but wouldn't it be nice if it could be, at least for children?

Instead of sitting around in a rage and eating sugar I decided to go for a bike ride along the spit and allow my legs to burn with the rage I was feeling in my soul. I stopped at the beach, took some pictures, read a few chapters of my book, and gazed at the sunlight.

Water amazes me. The tide goes in and out twice each day here in Homer and you never know what the water will turn over and uncover. You never know what it will leave behind. You never know how the rock piles will form. 
Water continually takes different paths. Water winds along in ways that seem counter-intuitive, but eventually ends up back in the ocean.
The sea foam along the beach today was marvelous. Also, I wore my sandals WITHOUT SOCKS OUTSIDE for the first time this year. Hallelujah!
Sea foam is fairly brown and ugly, but it is also astonishing. To me, sea foam looks like some sort of weird sponge.
This is a chunk of seaweed. I am not in the know about what all the types are called, but I can tell you that when you step on this kind it sounds like bubble wrap.


What? A 28 year old can't have the fun of a 5 year old? I can and I did, thank you.
Water. The lines it leaves behind. Water is a brutal force, taking out things that are in its way when it is angry. Then, it ever so quietly laps at your feet on serene days.
Water, like life, is ever changing.

I left my house today feeling quite mad.

I came home today feeling not completely okay, but with the knowledge that life is ever moving, ever changing, and never perfect. There is still frustration with 'the way things are', but I am hopeful that someday there will be change. Maybe not right now, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not even the next day....but I have to believe that someday all will be made right.

Sometimes, a person needs a good leg-burning bike ride.

3 comments:

K said...

Sandals without socks is cause for celebration!

Clarissa said...

Way to channel your frustration and anger into a positive activity! Also, wow, what a lovely day for a ride! I really want to walk on sea weed that pops, too.

Anonymous said...

I would be angry too!!! Grrr! But you handled uncontrollable rage VERY well. The popping seaweed sounds pretty cool! And sea foam reminds me of the little mermaid!