30 April 2012

Atypical

Typically, I vomit when people write extensively gushing exposes about their spouses in public places.


Honestly, it annoys me. Seriously annoys me. 


I am glad people love their spouses, but the comparing that happens because of this whole 'my spouse is great' stuff drives me nuts.


Today, however, I am going to fly in the face of my own annoyance because sometimes public things need to be said. Sometimes, people you love need to know why you love who you love. Sometimes, my husband needs to know, deep down in his core, that I am completely behind him. Always. (And, as a side note, you really don't have to read this if you are like me and things like this sometimes make you want to barf. I get it. Honest.)


Today is one of those days.


My husband is a magnificent human being. He offers grace and kindness and mercy almost all the time. Even, and especially when, people may not seem or be deserving of his kindness and grace. While some may see this as a fault, I see it as a sincere and wonderful asset. Not everyone can see the world and be so kind to it. 


Me? I get ticked when people are awful to me. Ticked. My husband doesn't do that. He stops and thinks it through. He doesn't yell back or defend himself in rude ways. He thinks. He says what he means. 


Then he lets it go. He doesn't hang on. He says his piece and then, somehow, he releases.


I am married to a wonderful human being. He cares about me above almost every other thing on this earth. Despite the fact that our views may differ, our life goals might change, I might cry, or he might want to rip my hair out...he doesn't change. He walks this road with me through thick and thin. No matter what.


We are going through a period of thick right now. Life isn't easy and the grass is not green (literally or figuratively). Life right now is hard. Really hard.


And the difficult? It isn't going to change for a few months. 


But Kennan? He is showing grace upon grace through this time of fire. He is breathing deeply and being the person he knows he needs to be, despite everything happening around him.


Despite his nutty wife, who is seriously rocking back and forth like a nutcase these days.


He holds me together. He holds us together.


And I love him.


Today is a hard day for him and I thought he should know that he is wonderful, no matter what. He might be embarrassed about my public affection, but well, too bad hubbub. Too bad.


There is beer, enchiladas, refried beans, and a hug waiting for you. There is love.


Thus ends my romantic expose. Stay tuned for regular programming tomorrow. The regular programming includes quilting. Just so you can be prepared for something less gushy.

2 comments:

K said...

I read to the end, and I loved this for two reasons.
1. I'm not opposed to public romantic exposes in honor of one's spouse. I think gushy is sometimes sweet.
2. I haven't been around Kennan for YEARS, but when I read this, it was him. It just was.
Okay, I said two reasons, but now I have to add a #3.
3. When I think of Kennan, I can't help but think of "Kenanana". Does he remember that? From camp? And the Muppets? Well, we've taught our boys to sing that song now, and I don't know why, but I'm telling you about it in the world's longest blog comment. Ever.
4. Just because. I love you.

Clarissa said...

I, too, am not so good with gushy public affection, but I think this was sweet and warranted. Kennan is a wonderful human being. And I'm so glad you two make such a good team. Yay team Rolffs-Archer!