26 September 2007

I am NOT into programming

So, as I delve into youth ministry, family ministry, and marriage ministry I am quickly realizing something. I am not into church programs. I am not into most curriculums for Sunday school or youth stuff. I am not into Focus on the Family.

So, where does that leave me?

It appears this leaves me nowhere. I have searched high and low, and I'm not doing well. I found a decent youth curriculum that we are using this year. But family ministry? Forget it. Marriage stuff that isn't all about women submitting, men gaining new ways to be spiritual leaders, or stuff that isn't all about sex? Doesn't exist. Does anyone know of any high quality resources that are out there for any of these things? Between me, the youth leader, and the pastor we don't see anything.

Discipleship is important to me. Mentoring is important to me. Curriculum for youth based on teaching them ways to practically live is important to me. Teaching people how to have marriages revolving around their practical faith journey together is important to me. Teaching/equipping parents to be their own children's spiritual trainers and mentors is important to me. Sex is not, in my opinion, a vital conversation to have again and again with teens. Drugs and alcohol resistance are not my primary motivation.

Because I believe that if people are truly seeking Jesus and trying to live out a practical relationship with the Triune God, these things will fall into place. Maybe not easily, but it will happen. There will be conviction. Making these things a priority reduces faith to a moral code. I do not believe that is what faith is. I think faith means living like Jesus with the help of the Spirit.

Maybe I should write some books. But I think I would be the only person to buy them.

No comments: