I love light bulb moments. I love having them myself, but I really enjoy watching them happen to others.
Last night was our first official 'teaching' youth group meeting. Our whole curriculum is centered around the spiritual practices and learning how to practically live them out as a teenager. It is exciting stuff, but there is so much information.
So, I told them about how we are made in the image of God (Gen 1:26-27) and how we are temples of the Holy Spirit and called to honor God with our bodies (1 Cor 6:19-20). Then I told them that we have to practice to become closer and better at following Jesus. So, how do we practice taking care of our bodies?
Then we split into small groups. My group was talking about how maybe what we put onto our body suggests what we think about our creation in the image of God. A 7th grade sat up, stared around, and said: "Are brand names bad?" It had occurred to her that maybe it matters what we do and wear on and with our bodies. I watched the students understand that we are required to take care of our gifts from God. What would we do if we didn't have bodies?
It was fun. I love when people get it, especially young people. So for the next 2 weeks they get to practice. And then they come back and tell us about it. We'll see if my bright idea for a curriculum actually worked!
27 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am glad you found something to teach the kids that they can really connect with. I too find it hard for quality youth programming. I am doing Sunday School Lessons around the TV show Joan of Arcadia. I think there are lots of good conversation starters and lessons in that show. I hope the kids find the same thing!
Post a Comment