This week the senior pastor, worship leader and I had to plan for Lent. Yes, you are reading correctly, Lent. Didn't Christmas just happen? Lent...already?
I am quickly realizing that being a pastor means thinking one season ahead in the church year and that is really difficult. I want to live in Epiphany right now...I don't want to be thinking about Ash Wednesday. But I have to.
So, I'm planning an Ash Wednesday service this week and next. Crazy.
I am preaching this Sunday on Matthew 3:13-17, the baptism of Jesus. This makes me think a lot about the Spirit, which comes upon Jesus after his baptism. In Matthew it says 'he [Jesus] saw the Spirit come upon him like a dove'.
First of all, how awesome would it be to see the Spirit descend on you? I love that image. What does this mean for us? I believe that a person can have the Holy Spirit and not be baptized, but I also believe that you can be baptized and not have the Spirit. Am I wrong? Now, me being wrong is always possible, I definitely do not have a monopoly on theological truth.
This passage brings up many questions for me. I wonder about infant baptism and the Spirit. I wonder about believer's baptism and people who have believed for many years. My mother isn't baptized, but I firmly believe the Spirit works in her life. And the example of Jesus, who is our primary human example, should be an indication of what is true.
So, if you have thoughts, let me know. If not, that is okay. I'm reading lots of commentaries, and I honestly don't feel the need to have 'all the answers' before preaching. I'm okay with telling people I'm clueless, if it is the truth. But this really has my head in knots...
08 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
hey alaina. yes, time flies, and hard to believe you're planning for lent already!
i agree with you - i think someone can have the Spirit but not be baptized; or someone can be baptized but not have the Spirit. Check out Acts 8-9.
see you at midwinter?
Hmmm, you have me thinking more about "have the Spirit." Do we get it, like when we buy something, or get something for our effort? Should we distinguish between 'having' .. and 'receiving' the Spirit, as a symbol like the dove - and not think of it like with one's baptism that now I have received the Spirit like a one time thing, but that it is all symbolic that the Spirit is with us, in us, moving us, drawing us at all times. So, you saying your mother 'has the Spirit' and she hasn't been baptized, well of course! for the Spirit is not limited by our rituals..., but I'm reacting against the way we Christians say we "have" something. We have fluid and gracious relationship with the Spirit because of who God is... and that God's Spirit is active and at work with all people.
Jen,
Yep - I'll see you there!
Carla,
You are 100% correct. I used awful language to describe something as mysterious as our relationship with the Spirit. I was writing quickly and I did not think well.
What I really mean is, because of the Baptist-type upbringing, I was taught that the Spirit is within people when they are 'saved' (whatever that means), but also that the Spirit was given in some seeable way at baptism. But when I see the Savior receiving the Spirit at his baptism it makes me wonder if the Spirit was within him before this or if it was just a symbol for him to see the affirmation from God as well as a symbol to the others located at the river with him.
I also agree that the Spirit can work through anyone, people of faith or not, but I know there are many people who totally disagree with that.
Does that make more sense? I still don't feel like I'm saying what I mean very well...:)
Alaina
Post a Comment