18 February 2008

Leaving Well

As I begin to think about leaving this church that I am interning at I am having a hard time of it. I love these people and this place. (And the organic co-op here is magnificent). But I have to leave, so I need to try to do it well if possible.

So, I am making a list of reasons that school is good.
1. Breaks. Big, long breaks where nothing is required of me. Spring break, fall break, Christmas break. J-term. Summer. So many breaks.
2. Ability to make my own schedule. Though classes are scheduled, I get to decide which classes I take, when I take them, when I do homework, who I do things with, etc. In school there are no office hours.
3. Chicago. Diversity, ethinicity, more food choices.
4. Public transportation.
5. I can take naps, or stay up late and sleep in if I want to.
6. I get to think and engage with theological ideas and biblical hermeneutics - and that is what I am SUPPOSED to be doing. It is like my job is talking and thinking about faith.
7. My friends.
8. People my age who do not have children or are single. (There are hardly any of these people in Decorah). I like people with children because I love children and I like married people, I mean I am one, but sometimes - it is nice to talk to people who are my age who do not have 3 kids. I'm only 24!
9. Christian conservativism is not as rampant at the seminary and, to be frank, I really need a break from it right now.

This really is not a great attempt at a list. I'll have to keep thinking. The pros of Decorah really seem to outweigh the cons of Chicago right now...even in the snow.

No comments: