This weekend I got one of those phone calls that you never want to get. One of those phone calls where you hang up, and the rest of your day doesn't matter anymore. Your plans no longer really exist and you are stuck thinking about that phone call.
A friend called me on Saturday to tell me that her mother has been given 2 months or less to live. She has cancer, and has decided to end treatments for many reasons. Her mother is 50 years old. So young. This woman is amazing. She was diagnosed with cancer about 3 years ago and has fought it tooth and nail since. But it is overtaking her, and she is telling her family she is ready.
What do you do when your friend calls, telling you she is awaiting the imminent death of her beloved mother? Her mother who will never see my friend's children, or her daughter's wedding. My friend didn't want answers, she just wanted me to know. So I could pray, love her, and be prepared.
I immediately called my mother, feeling selfish. I wanted to hear my mother's voice. I wanted to know that my mother is fine and healthy. And for that, I feel like a jerk.
So we wait. For death. Never a phone call you want to get. Never.
18 February 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment