09 July 2008

25

I am 25. When I woke up this morning, I decided that I needed to make this day as good as it could be despite being away from everyone that I love.

And you know what? God provided.

Today was a good day. My peer group threw me a surprise birthday party over the lunch hour. My supervisor invited me over for supper and I got to spend time with her adorable baby. I got lots of phone message from people I love. AND my husband sent me flowers - AND he has special birthday plans for the weekend.

So overall...nothing to complain about. It still has not been the birthday that I would wish for in my perfect world, but this summer is teaching me to count on life's little blessings - like the fact that I can type, read, write, walk around, and my brain is functioning. It is easy to forget how fragile human life can be.

I have now lived 25 years of it. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm not sure where I am heading. I have large dreams and numerous people continue to squash them, telling me, "you'll stop dreaming big when you get a little older" (what?) or "you cannot expect that people will change" (really?) or "it doesn't sound like this dream can be reality - think smaller". The thing is, though, I do not ever want to look back on my life and wish that I would have tried to live out my dreams. I want to try to live how I think God is calling me to live and if I fail, then so be it - but at least I will not have regrets.

4 comments:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

(what?) (really?) Those people are seriously sad. Don't let them squash your dreams. I am learning how surprisingly few people know what they like or want or need, so it's not a surprise that they don't have dreams... but it's sad. And God is bigger. He can move mountains.

Cherry Shake said...

Oh, happy belated birthday, Alaina Beth (never knew your middle name either...but I saw it on your post just now...even though I've read your blog many times before and never noticed it...funny how the brain works, huh?)! I didn't know July 9 was the big day 25 years ago, but I do now! You're in my outlook calendar! ... so be ready for a more timely birthday wish next year!

ONLY 4 weeks baby, 4 weeks ;) ...may God make them go very quickly for you! ;)

Cheri

Justin Barrett said...

Two words: dream big.