31 January 2010

Preaching and No Parchment Paper

Today I had many things on my to-do list:

1) Preach at church.
2) Get Kennan elected to the vestry at church.
3) Make crackers.
4) Make granola.

Okay, maybe that isn't a ton. But for me on a Sunday that is a long list.

But I forgot the parchment paper. So no granola, no crackers. The kinds we make burn if made without parchment paper. I am SO sick of forgetting things at the store. It is fairly ridiculous.

However, I did preach at church this morning. Overall it was a fairly simple sermon. I told a story, expounded on the text, gave some perspective, and tied in the story. I'm fairly good at synthesizing, so people were with me and it was good. While I was preaching there were parts of me that felt more alive than they have in awhile. Preaching really gets me fairly jazzed. I really like bringing God's word alive to people. I love when people see or hear something that might be different than they've heard it before, even if they completely disagree.

In this particular congregation, however, I loved preaching for some other reasons. They need help. It is a lay-led church and they need gifted people to step up to the plate. Preaching is something I can do and I tend to do it fairly okay. So once a month, I'm offering my gift to help the masses. It isn't much, but it is what I can do. It brings life to me, it brings life to the church, and Kennan gets to be proud as a peacock.

Really, though, it was just incredibly nice to have something affirmed in my existence. With lots of things the way things tend to be when you're figuring life out, it was amazing how much today meant to me. Everyone in church commented on my preaching except one person (who is fairly shy). Now normally I could care less about 'compliments' or whatever. But today, I was not expecting anything. So to receive people affirming my gift for teaching, appreciating me for who I am, and really excited about what I offer was one of the best things that has happened in a long time.

There's no paycheck involved. No licensure or ordination. No outright things to say that this is 'good ministry'. But for me, maybe this is what life is. Offering my gifts where I can, when I can, to help out the Body of Christ.

Today I remembered that I really am somebody. There really are things I am good at. I really do have gifts and skills. And it is enough, hopefully, to tide me over through this week.

1 comment:

Rev. Dave said...

Affirmation is always a good thing--but far too elusive at times. I've been meeting with our Associate Pastor (partially exploring a future position with her) and it's a highlight because of how affirming she is.

What church are you attending? And do they really call it a vestary?