01 August 2011

New Projects

With two days off and rain and more rain on the horizon, I decided that the time for a new project was in order. Something for myself. Something I want to make. Something that I will get to keep and enjoy.

I love making quilts for people, especially to celebrate life's huge joys and big changes. It is wonderful to think of a couple or a friend who is moving cross country or a new beautiful baby snuggled in a creation that I have made. I love making quilts because quilts are for using and loving - not for looking at.

So, I started a new orange project. I have been collecting fabric for this project since the beginning of seminary, almost 6 years ago. Living in Alaska in the winter requires warm colors - blues and greens make me extremely cold. So, reds and oranges and warm browns are the name of the game in our house.
There is definite peace in measuring, cutting, piling, ironing. Although somewhat monotonous, I know the outcome. Life holds a few questions in the coming months, so this act of predictability is soothing.
Organization, at least in one area of life!
This is the name of the pattern. We currently only have one 'sofa' quilt and there are 2 of us - you do the math. So, another sofa quilt is in order. Especially for the winter when the house is 60 degrees because we can't afford to heat it more with propane!
A new project just for myself. I still haven't completely finished the last project, but I can't post photos of it until it has been received. There are no deadlines for this orange beauty. I have deadlines for some bags, a wedding quilt that should have been done in May and a baby quilt for a little one set to arrive any day now.

In the midst of gray rain and a mind with swirling questions, this is the best. With a side of coffee. Of course.

1 comment:

Sarah Anne said...

this makes me happy :) i also have a new project in mind, for a significant other that i just thought of this weekend. if i get it done in time for our 6 year anniversary, that will only give me a couple weeks! otherwise i suppose i can make it a christmas present...but whatever happens, projects are very cathartic and good for the soul.