04 March 2008

Taking up Space

I've been thinking lately about a lot of things. I think I may be annoying the people around me. I have been reading some provocative books, including The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne, which is a very cut through the crap kind of book. I have been thinking about church, about community, about hierarchical leadership structures, about feminism, about how I read the Bible, about male/female relationships, about children, about church meetings, and about stuff.

Last year, when we moved from Chicago to Decorah, we rid our lives of a lot of stuff. This included several kitchen items I swear I had never even seen before, as well as large amount of Christian subculture items like CD's or really bad books. We also rid our lives of several other things, and I felt much lighter.

Then we moved here, and of course, have acquired more stuff. Definitely not all bad stuff, but stuff. Junk. Things to looks pretty. Or things that I could use, but definitely do not need. For two people, we have lots of hobbies. Our hobbies take lots of stuff - sewing machines, fabric, supplies for quilting, yarn, knitting needles, crochet hooks, rope, book binding supplies, drawing/painting/pastel supplies, and the list goes on.

I was sitting last night with a group of church women. We were talking about books we like to read or books that have impacted our lives. Over and over again I heard about cheesy Christian romances (which are not always bad), but that I am somewhat against. That is for another day. Anyway, I realized that I am a book junkie. I like to own books. Now sometimes, in my defense, this is good. I write all over my books, underlining and circling, and saying what I really think in the margins, etc. However, the library has books. My friends have books. There are places I can get books. Why do I spend so much money on books?

And Christmas. I am still overtaken by the amount of money it seems to take to have Christmas. Hundreds of dollars to buy each other stuff that will be forgotten in a couple of weeks. I spent years (literally) making a quilt for my parents and a month later my brother said - what quilt? He was sitting right there when we opened it. No impact. Stuff doesn't matter - people don't even remember it. Family, who I love, spent SO much money on Kennan and I this Christmas and I felt like a selfish, gluttonous fool. So much stuff that I just have to haul around - and most of which I probably do not need.

And food. Why do I feel the need to have extras of everything? There are only 2 of us - why so much extra food stuff? Why always back up plans and frozen back up plans and such? What do I expect? That ALL the grocery stores will be closed for months? Seriously. Ridiculous money spent, just sitting on my shelf, for months. Going out to eat when I have all this food on my shelf. Deciding nothing sounds good, so going out instead. Ridiculous.

Why do I do all of these things? Because I am addicted to stuff. I don't know how to get around this issue. Everyone around me is addicted to stuff too.

2 comments:

Rob Sabin said...

I think you have hit on the very essence of American consumerism. We had a missions team here from Eastern Europe and they had done a brief stop at the great Mall of America. They were all completely disgusted by it all. We Americans are addicted to STUFF. It is so hard to break free from that mentality but try we must because God's sense of community drives us to share all that we have with those who don't have. Also the more we acquire the more we desire. There is no contentment in life if we are always wanting more.
Well, these are my rantings from one stuff-oriented American to another.
Blessings to you! And may your spiritual blessings be so much greater than your material blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hi Alaina!

It was great to meet you while you were visiting Beth and family. I hope you had a safe journey home.

I can really relate to your post about "stuff"...remember the shoppping cart full of stuff when you entered our apartment? I haven't done any more sorting since but after reading your post, I am again inspired.

I feel more free and calm after I do a big de-cluttering mission and I think that's what I need right now. I am particularly inspired when I know others can make use of the stuff that is just distracting me from the important stuff :)

So much stuff!
Be well,
Eryn