I have begun to realize that this life in Chicago will soon end. This brings tears to my eyes, smiles to my face, you name it.
On Sunday, we went to church. We celebrated the resurrection with our church family. It was good. In the afternoon, we had a delicious time with what has become our Chicago family. The people we love. The people we are safe with. The people who we drive crazy and who drive us crazy right back. The people we laugh with, cry with, eat with. We feast together often. Our Chicago family is a beautiful thing. Some old, some young, some married, some widowed, some happy, some sad.
There was a moment on Sunday when we were all feasting on waffles, cinnamon raisin homemade bagels, pineapple, grapes, deviled eggs, salad, and juice when I looked around me. I saw smiles and laughter and joy. I saw the faces of people who I love deeply. People who I see every week, sometimes multiple times. It was a moment of pure bliss as I realized how beautiful the moment was. Smiling, joyous faces celebrating the resurrection together. Not with immediate family, not with conventional food, but with true joy.
I don't really know what I will do without these people in my life to feast with each week.
The comings and goings of life really are tough, aren't they? One has to wonder if our moving, constantly on the go, job-changing society has good things going for it. In the past, where you grew up was usually where you died. You knew the people. You really knew them. I used to hate the thought of living in one place for the rest of my life. These days, that is starting to sound like an excellent way to live.
Hmmm.
14 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I missed you SO much last week -- getting ready for the Maundy Thursday service, Easter morning...I just kept thinking back to last year. As completely horrible as that week was...it was also strangely beautiful b/c we were all in it together. I just kept picturing us hauling those big round tables, laughing so hard as we pulled things off the shelves -- and onto our heads. In the midst of the crap, it was such a welcome relief.
Was this Easter better than last? Yeah, maybe. But was it lonelier? Yep, for sure.
I've decided there's nothing better than doing ministry with people you love with all your heart.
So glad you had a wonderful Easter with people you love. And I pray next year, where ever you are, you'll get to do the same!
Julie
Post a Comment