28 April 2009

Big News People, Big News

As of April 27th, I officially accepted a position to serve as the Director of Student Services at the Amundsen Educational Center in Soldotna, Alaska. And I am so excited.

It is amazing how I often feel as though I have one piece of a gigantic puzzle and I have no idea how the piece intersects with the larger puzzle. I spend all this time and energy trying to figure out the picture from my small point of view and get overwhelmed. For a long time I have held a puzzle piece that contained a desire to live in close community, to mentor and disciple young people, and to be able to fully enjoy God's splendid creation. Usually, it felt as though these 3 things were mutually exclusive in the ministry opportunities I had.

As the interview process started occurring for this particular position it became clear quickly that all 3 of the portions that were already on my puzzle piece were available. And there were even more pieces being offered: teaching spiritual formation classes, learning about church planting, working in a small community, eating good fish, being able to see mountains from my house, a free Christmas tree every year, a home that I can paint and live in for more than 13 months (which is our current record), the chance to work with men (which, if you remember from last year, tends to be a good thing for me) and the time to really deepen my own walk with God while helping to enhance and deepen the spiritual lives of others.

There is a lot more, but it is amazing that God is already making my dreams come true. The dreams that I thought would maybe never happen. The dreams that everyone told me were crazy. The dreams that I thought were 'too big' and 'too much to ask or even hope for'.

The call of my life has always been to love people well. That might sound tacky, or too easy, but it has been clear to me that as long as I am loving people well, everything else will fall into place. This ministry opportunity allows me to love people well. Loving people well will be my job.

In light of all of this, Kennan and I will be starting a blog specifically devoted to Alaskan things, Alaskan fundraising, Alaskan adventures, etc. I will still keep this blog as my more personal space and it won't be connected in any way to the other one. I'll let you know the address when we officially decide. I just need some compartmentalization in my life.

We're moving to Alaska! God is so incredibly good and gracious.

3 comments:

Jen L said...

Alaina, this is such wonderful news!!!

Jane D. said...

I am so thrilled for you...every bit of it! God is good!

Unknown said...

You remember the Friends episode when Chandler and Monica announce they are moving and Joey gets all upset? In all seriousness we’re excited for you two.