I have discovered something recently that may in fact change my world:
Life is not so much about making big, huge, scary, life-altering choices. Life, instead, is about making little choices each day to pursue a Christ-like existence.
I am a future thinker. I am someone who analyzes things in her head, who questions the world around me, that person at the dinner party who says, 'why don't we talk about...[insert something controversial]'. If you are named Justin or Jessica you can laugh, it's okay. This is who I am. I am okay with it.
Recently, though, I have started to realize that my life has not changed much in the last months. I started to think about why. I realized it is because I recognize something in my life as sinful, or bad, or just ridiculous. Then, I think about how hard it will be to change that particular thing. Then I feel overwhelmed. Then I attempt to change, which never works because you cannot just lose 75 pounds in one month. Then I stop trying because I attempt to make big choices, not little choices.
So, I am trying to pursue the little choices. I could be changing poverty, racism, sexism, you name it. Instead, I really care about creation. I am going to start there. So, I recycle. I eat locally when I can. We make homemade food instead of packaged crap. Instead, I really do want to be healthy. So, I will go running today (if you are a person who will see me soon, ask me about this ok?). I will stop watching so much TV (I loved living last year without you, you horrible TV). I will drink water.
The little things. Slowly and surely, the little things will become a part of my lifestyle. Then I can move on to bigger things.
However, with the future looming large, right now life is about the little things. They may seem insignificant, but at least they are something.
Also: These are my first ever links in a post. Woo-hoo, I coming up on the technology! (Come on Justin, you're impressed, you know you are...)
08 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sometimes the bigger choices are easier than the smaller choices. Like many important things in life they are not a sprint, but a marathon.
For some reason I find it humorous that your friend's blog is "Wandering in the Woods" and mine is "Wandering in the Wilderness."
Just remember "What About Bob":
Baby steps (with a few leaps here and there for fun)
Post a Comment