29 February 2012

Snow. And then some Snow. Oh, and more Snow.

This winter has been hysterical. 

It snowed a lot in November. Then, in December, everything melted. Right before Christmas it snowed. The snow continued until we had several feet in Homer. This is abnormal, as we are an oceanfront town. Not many miles away there are places with even more snow. February has been rife with high temperatures (read: 30's) so the snow has been melting, creating a slushy and disgusting world that is difficult to get around in via virtually all means of transportation.

Finally, finally, it has gotten colder again and the precipitation coming from the sky is beautiful snow. We've gotten another 6 or so inches since Sunday.

Not everyone agrees with me, but I do live in Alaska. Because I live in Alaska, snow is a part of life. Instead of seeing snow as the enemy I have chosen to see snow as friend. We shall see if I still feel this way in April.

Snow is so wonderful because it creates a clean, white slate.
 Snow is like ocean waves - you never know what you're going to get. Usually, though, you know you will get quiet. Snowfall is so peaceful.
 Snowflakes are so different. The snow we've been getting recently has been large flakes that are not wet and sticky at all. They are pure fluff. They blow around and fall slowly.
 I love the mountains in the winter. In my opinion, a clear day in winter is the most gorgeous time to look at Alaska. Yes, summer is beautiful and there are lots more things to do and see. But winter is where we actually live. Winter is seeing the reality of our lives, bathed in white beauty.
 The world is white again, a reprieve from the brown slush that is coming. A snow globe of possibilities await.
**Just a note for everyone: My last post was not about anyone or anything in particular. It was about an accumulation of experiences that have happened in the last few years of life. My goal is not to judge or be angry. My goal is always to tell the truth, no matter what. The truth is that families that do not include children and families of one are often seen as people who are not fully adults. I believe that this is an unacceptable assumption. My feelings have been hurt by these ideas and I thought people should know. We often (myself included) say and do things without thinking that harm others. It is important to hear other people's stories and experiences. Through these experiences I believe we see the beauty that is being human.**

No comments: