15 October 2012

Food: Day 1

Ahem. So...yesterday came and went. I could offer excuses about a stressful weekend (not bad stress, just stress because we weren't in our own space), but really...we were tired and we didn't cook last night. The end.

So, the journey begins today instead.

First off, smoothie making for lunch. Homemade yogurt (SO easy in the crockpot - here is one recipe option), pears on the brink of overripe, 4 leaves of kale and some frozen strawberries to add some other flavor. We split the final amount in half. Green smoothies look gross in photos, sort of like brown goo, so use your imagination. 
Breakfast: French press fair trade coffee from KBay in Homer...we are nearing the end of our stash, Emergen-C, cod liver oil...it is disgusting and I gag but I can tell when I don't take it, apples, yogurt, and granola. The granola was a gift from someone post fire. Typically I make my own instead, but this brand is pretty good in the crunchy department.
Supper: The fixings. Brussel sprouts, patty pan squash, tomatoes, cream, cheddar, rice, olive oil, pepper, salt, red onion, corn, Hatch chiles, bacon. I had never made this meal before, so it was sort of an adventure in "I hope we like this."
End result: Definitely a keeper. It really is too bad summer squash season is over for the year! This is Calabacitas (click on title for the recipe), brown rice, and brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts in no way go with this meal, but it is sprout season so they currently go with everything in my book. I love them.
Each day, for my own self, I would like to document the preserved things from summer that I used. Today, the jalapeno on Kennan's supper was from hot sauce I made, the chiles were roasted and frozen Hatch chilies from the freezer, and we included some tomato (not in the recipe, but super good addition) from a jar we only used half of last week.

I hope to have more to say in the coming days. Right now I am too tired after a somewhat emotional day. I will say this, though...I feel better physically today than I have in awhile. I am guessing this is because the only sugar I had was in the granola, ate all home cooked food, and actually drank water. See you tomorrow!

Disclaimer: I will be linking to several blogs with recipes throughout the next couple weeks. In general, most blogs with recipes I appreciate (read: recipes that use actual whole food ingredients) seem to have some theological and political beliefs that I do not appreciate. Also, several blogs that tend to offer more 'real food' recipes seem to err on the side of alternative medicine. While I am a huge supporter of not using pharmaceutical drugs for every little pain or sickness, and I do believe God provided many things in nature that can help keep our immune systems strong, I do not hold to every single tenet of these sorts of ideologies. For example, my husband is a physical therapist. Because of this, I have knowledge that makes me not completely fall in love with chiropractors the way most people in the 'real food' community seem to. If you want to know what I think you are welcome to ask, but please don't assume that the links lead to blogs that have content I endorse 100%. I take what I like and leave what I don't. 

No comments: