Today was a crazy day in the kitchen. Crazy.
I blanched and froze 5 stalks worth of brussel sprouts. If you have ever taken the time to take brussel sprouts off of stalks, you understand the tedious nature of this task. I love brussel sprouts, though, so the effort will be worth it in January when I can pull them out!
I also cooked some pumpkin/squash seeds from a few weeks ago when I cooked the pumpkins. I love freshly toasted pumpkin seeds. Such a good, cheap snack.
We had another dinner guest tonight, so I used the excuse to make an apple pie. I have been wanting to make one for awhile, but I only make desserts typically when they will get shared with others so that we do not eat the entire thing. Also, this pie is awesome because the crust is 100% whole wheat and it is sweetened with maple syrup - no refined grains or sugar! To go with the pie, I made cinnamon ice cream. And it was good.
For breakfast we ate the rest of the pear/apple crisp. Why, you say? Well...it was getting old, and it had less sugar than most breakfast cereal and instant oatmeal. On par with pancakes, so we ate it with yogurt and called it good.
For supper, we completely changed the plan. We were supposed to have soup. The temperature was 75 degrees and muggy. Soup = no way. So, I used some cauliflower I got at the farmer's market and made Cauliflower Pasta. Yum. The Cauliflower Pasta is from Farmer John's The Real Dirt on Vegetables.
Today, we used tomato paste, 2 pints of tomato sauce, and a half pint of pesto that I had canned or frozen. I love using the stuff I made because it really does give the food a joyful feeling. It may be crazy, but it makes me extremely happy.
Now to the dishes...
23 October 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Alaina, I just watched a documentary that I think you'd really like. It's called "Forks Over Knives." I watched it on hulu.com.
reading all these food posts makes me salivate. you really need to open a cafe some day :) also-this makes me scared to ever cook for you guys!
You have a lot on your sleeves today. I wonder how you manage to have time for that. All those foods looks scrumptious.
holiday rentals yorke peninsula
Post a Comment