19 May 2008

Delayed gratification

I have spent the majority of the last two weeks of my life packing and unpacking. Normally, this results in a fairly nice apartment that I can live in and be fairly happy about. (I have lots of experience.) This time, it still results in an apartment I love. The difference is - I am unpacking and making this apartment nice - and then I am moving again. This is annoying.

All of my energies over the last few weeks have gone into things I don't really get to enjoy until September. Delayed gratification at its best. Something I really need to learn in the midst of this fast paced, quick fix, fast food that tastes bad society. But hey, my apartment is almost totally unpacked except for the things Kennan needs to do because he is trying to unpack, see me, and finish school all at the same time.

Delayed gratification is something that is going to become near and dear to my heart over the next weeks and months.

Drumroll please, I am about to announce a life-altering commitment:

I officially am becoming healthy. Period. I refuse to turn back. Today, May 19, I am announcing to the world (or you who care to read this) that my life is officially changing health-wise starting today. I officially have someone holding me accountable - someone who knows about nutrition and exercise, who is actually going to help me not set my goals too high, someone who believes I really can do this.

I am not on a diet. I am against those.

I will continue to eat sugar and chocolate and things I love. Just not all the time. Delayed gratification. I will enjoy them more this way. I am fairly excited about that - although it will suck for the next few months.

I am not doing this to lose weight. I am doing this because I deserve to be healthy. My body deserves to feel good. I need to take care of this anointed body that is a gift from God, it is the only one I will ever have. I have been commissioned to care for it.

So I'm going to try. And this time, I'm going to succeed. I might not be perfect, but this time I am very serious and very real about this. I am done. I will win this war. Period.

Writing this was hard. But I wanted somebody to know. So now you know. Don't drive me crazy about it - but if you love me - ask how it is going every once in awhile. NOT all the time - or I'll punch you. :o)

3 comments:

Cherry Shake said...

Alaina,

congrats! Accountability is sooooo helpful when it comes to keeping a body healthy!! And I love the way you phrased it...I too am against diets...because I can never stay on them long term...do not normally enjoy them...and then end up back where I started not long after I end them. Besides, it's not just about a scale...as you put it, it is about caring for the body that God gave us and keeping it as well as we can. I, too, need continual encouragement, so I will occassionally read your blog and get encouraged, and then occassionally offer a word of encouragement too...but not too often, because I bet you punch hard! :) You'll do it, my friend!!

Jane D. said...

Way to go girl! You sound like you have excellent perspective on it and that's AWESOME! Yay!!!

Beth said...

I blogged about you today. I started posting a comment about waiting and delayed gratification. Then I realized that it was turning into a blog. I journaled about it last night. And I journaled and I journaled. Dave wondered if I would ever come up for air. Strength will rise... won't it?